Physical Education Grant
About the PE and sport premium
All young people should have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. A positive experience of sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation, and is central to meeting the government’s ambitions for a world-class education system.
Physical activity has numerous benefits for children and young people’s physical health, as well as their mental wellbeing (increasing self-esteem and emotional wellbeing and lowering anxiety and depression), and children who are physically active are happier, more resilient and more trusting of their peers. Ensuring that pupils have access to sufficient daily activity can also have wider benefits for pupils and schools, improving behaviour as well as enhancing academic achievement.
The School Sport and Activity Action Plan set out government’s commitment to ensuring that children and young people have access to at least 60 minutes of sport and physical activity per day, with a recommendation of 30 minutes of this delivered during the school day (in line with the Chief Medical Officer guidelines which recommend an average of at least 60 minutes per day across the week).
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of their physical education (PE), physical activity and sport.
This means that we should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport that our school provides
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
Schools should use the premium to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators.
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- Profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.